Winter Walk

I went for a walk down one of the lanes around my house, into an area of intensive arable farming which I think of as ‘the prairies’. One field had been recently ploughed and not yet planted up. There was a mixed flock of rooks and jackdaws feeding there. Past that, there are huge fields of winter wheat, with not much sign of life until I reached the stream, where I saw a small flock of bramblings, high in the trees. In sheep pasture beyond that, there was a single brown hare, looking very like a clod of earth. It was soaking up the last of the sun’s rays just before dusk. Walking back, a barn owl flew over and disappeared behind the trees along the line of the stream. I waited for it to reappear, but there was no further sign of it.

Brown hare watching the sunset
 
Mist coming in over the East Yorkshire prairies at dusk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Collecting Tansy Seed

Maldives 2016: Wildlife on the Island

Fen Bog